What is Unitarian Universalism?
Unitarian Universalism (UUism) is a liberal religion that promotes freedom of belief and respect for all people. We provide a warm, open, inclusive supportive community for people who believe “how we live is more important than what we believe.”
Unitarian Universalism is approximately 400 years old and there are more than one thousand UU congregations in the United States, Canada, and around the world.
We do not need to profess a “creed” in order to be a UU. We believe that an individual’s theology is a result of their own search for truth and meaning, not obedience to an outside authority. Instead, we are united by shared values including tolerance, compassion and on-going commitment to making the world a more humane and peaceful place.
Unitarian Universalism welcomes people with different beliefs and there is rich dialogue in our congregations about spiritual issues. We welcome and embrace all who share our values and principles regardless of their religious beliefs, sexual orientation, race, age or gender.
Welcome to Unitarian Universalism
We are people of all ages, people of many backgrounds, and people of many beliefs. We create spirituality and community beyond boundaries, working for more justice and more love in our own lives and in the world.
Unitarian Universalism affirms and promotes seven Principles, grounded in the humanistic teachings of the world’s religions. Our spirituality is unbounded, drawing from scripture and science, nature and philosophy, personal experience and ancient tradition as described in our six sources.
- The Unitarian Universalist Association
- Church of the Larger Fellowship (the UUA’s “Church without walls”)
- UUWorld (Magazine of the Unitarian Universalist Association)
- UUBF (Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship)
- UUCF (Unitarian Universalist Christian Fellowship)
- UUJA (Unitarian Universalists for Jewish Awareness)
- HUUmanists (Unitarian Universalist Humanists)
- CUUPS (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans)
- UUW&R (Unitarian Universalist Women & Religion)
- DRUUMM (Diverse and Revolutionary Unitarian Universalist Multicultural Ministries)
- Interweave (Unitarian Universalists for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Concern)