Showing Up: A Racial Justice Conference for Youth and Adults
March 10-12, 2017
at Thomas Jefferson Memorial Church
Join us in taking the next steps in showing up for racial justice.
We are excited about this upcoming training event sponsored by the Tidewater and Blue Ridge cluster of Unitarian Universalist congregations.
For Adults, this conference will take you to the next level in your racial justice work via hands-on and role play learning skills such as:
- Increase your capacity to read the power dynamics of a situation
- Identify your position within that situation
- Intervene in productive and accountable ways (de-escalation, active listening, etc.)
- Facilitated by the Deep Abiding Love Project team http://www.deepabidinglove.com
The adult conference is open to adults who identify as Unitarian Universalist and those who do not but are interested in furthering their racial justice activist skills.
For Youth, this conference will include:
- Peer Chaplaincy Support Training (condensed)
- Harness personal power of storytelling for racial justice
- Direct action campaigns – what are they and how to build them
- Facilitated by a combined team of UUA staff, congregational staff, and the Deep Abiding Love Project team http://www.deepabidinglove.com
Participation in this youth conference is limited to high school age youth who are part of UU congregations.
Location: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Church Unitarian Universalist, Charlottesville Virginia
Hosts: The Virginia Area Super-Cluster Congregations (Blue Ridge and Tidewater clusters)
When: Adults Fri March 10 7-9pm and Sat March 11 8:30am-4:30pm
Youth: Friday March 10 7pm to Sunday March 12 7:30am
Registration Fees: Adult $65, Youth $95 (financial assistance available)
Meals included: Adults (Sat breakfast/lunch) Youth (Fri heavy snack, Sat Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, Sun grab & go breakfast)
Lodging: Youth and chaperones will stay onsite. Lodging for adults is available through the TJMC B&B program.
Conference Schedule: Download the preliminary schedule.
Adult Registration link:
Youth Registration link:
Contact: [email protected]